Social Icons

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sweet Dreaming at the Waterfall








Pausing before launching into the upper headwall of There Will Be Blood
photo Blake McCord
Our individual development and progression as climbers is shaped by a number of experiences; road trips to new areas, influential partners, and challenging and memorable routes.  Perhaps more important than any milestone route or long-anticipated climbing trip to the development of a climber is the area in which the climber learns, the home crag. 
My home crag is not where I learned to climb or the most convenient or popular local hangout or after-work outdoor gym.  Rather it is the area that formed me as the climber, where I developed and tested my sense of ethics, cultured my climbing style, and built my confidence.  This crag is home to snakes, hornets, and poison ivy.  It may hold the title as the rockfall capitol of Arizona.  My home crag is the Oak Creek Waterfall.          
Matt Swartz considering his options on Walking Far From Home
photo Joel Unema
The volume of wild and life-directing experiences I personally have had at the Waterfall is more than enough for several blog posts, and more accounts of what I have learned from this beautiful place are in the works.  At the moment, I am reflecting on the beauty and depth of that place after achieving one of my major climbing goals in Flagstaff.  Last week Friday I made one more hike up to the Waterfall and repeated two routes, the last two on the long list of established routes at the Waterfall.  After three seasons climbing at the Waterfall, I had climbed every established route, somewhere around 100 total including around 40 5.11’s, 30 5.12’s, and two 5.13’s.  In the last year I had the privilege of adding a few of my own routes to the area, although my first foray into new routes may have been an Accident. 
Carrie, somehow putting up with my poor choices in f
Darren took the 2:30am shift on my birthday challenge in 2012.
 A truly special morning with a great friend.

Ever since I really sunk my teeth into the meat of the climbing at the Waterfall, the back of my mind was occupied by the thought that maybe I could climb everything there!  The last major hurdle in my path to finishing each climb was the unrepeated and much-discussed Sweet Dreams.  Established by Dan Foster and attempted by a few very gifted and bold climbers, this 115 foot overhung stemming problem had somehow eluded its suitors.  Rumors circulated about the tiny gear, the insecure climbing, and the difficulty of the moves, especially for tall climbers.  Earlier this spring Dave Bloom and I decided to see what all the talk was about.  We managed to traverse in and hang a rope over the climb.  While I had stuck with a ground-up ethic in repeating all other routes here, the lack of traffic and quality of the gear led us to inspect the climb from the top.  It was plenty dirty, and the gear was thin, but the climbing was exceptional and the tiny gear better than advertised.  After working out the moves, digging dirt out of lowe-ball placements, and dialing in the rack, I managed to wiggle in the 00’s, sliders, and 000’s that protected the entire 40’ crux section and send on my first lead attempt.  Sweet Dreams posed a unique challenge among the climbs I had repeated, a mental challenge, and it was a beautiful climb to mark the consummation of my relationship with the Waterfall.


Alex K on the FA of Walking Far From Home
photo Joel Unema
There are many people to thank for making the Waterfall the world-class crag that it is today.  Tim Toula, John Gault, Darren Singer, Daniel Miller, Jason Keith, Dan Foster, and Eric Meundt all played a part in the early phases of development, before I ever climbed at the Waterfall.   JJ Schlick, Wade Forrest, James Q Martin, David Bloom, Matt Swartz, and John Crawley picked up the baton and made it into the exceptional crag it is today.
The Waterfall has been central to my climbing development, and has been the source of intimidation and fear, the place of birth and growth of relationships, and the site of some of my most cherished accomplishments.  Stay tuned for more stories (and perhaps a few new routes) from my home crag, The Waterfall.  
Joel Unema stemming the low crux on the FFA of Walking Far From Home
photo Alex Kirkpatrick


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sample text

Sample Text

Sample Text